For those who live near the ocean, lake, or river, a beach party is sure to be a hit. A party at the beach is not only economical but can be simple to organize. Teens are sure to enjoy a variety of beach activities, food and decorations, as well as time spent with their friends.
Fun Beach Party Activities for Teens
Running around in the sand and surf is fun for any teen. To add more excitement to the beach party, consider the following beach activities:
- Sandcastle building contest: Have all the sandcastle supplies ready and have the teens get in teams to see who can build the best sandcastle.
- Dance contest: Create a playlist of your teen's favorite tunes and hold a dance contest at the beach. This is not only fun to participate in, but fun to watch as well.
- Bonfire: Always follow the rules of your specific beach area. If a bonfire is permitted, you can have the teens sit around it and tell scary stories, make s'mores, and enjoy the company of friends.
- Games: Games are a great way to break the ice and will add hours of fun to any party. Some party games that are fun for the beach include volleyball, Frisbee, water balloon toss, and squirt guns and soakers.
- Tubing: If you're at a river, tubing is a great activity that takes advantage of the sunny summer day. Have everyone bring their own (or rent them), and float down the river to the designated party area.
Beach Party Decorations
The beach itself will serve as a natural decoration, but you can add a few creative items that will add a special touch to your party location. Some beach themed decorations include:
- Party sign and balloons: Make it obvious to your guests where the party is being held by displaying a sign and maybe even a few colorful balloons.
- Tiki torches: Torches can define your space and set the mood for the party.
- Beach towels and blankets: Choose towels and blankets in fun prints and bright colors. These will provide seating for your guests as well as add some color to your party.
- Beach umbrellas: Give shade to those who want to get out of the sun with a few beach umbrellas scattered around the party.
Always keep in mind any rules or regulations of the beach you are at when planning your party. Some beaches may not allow tiki torches or other items.
Simple Party Food Options
There are many food and drink options to consider for a teen party on the beach. Food can be kept as simple as possible. Be sure to bring paper cups, paper plates, plastic utensils and a large garbage bag for all your trash. For food, you can order several pizzas and serve those or bring a cooler and a small, portable grill and any of the following:
Keep the teens busy with a few beach-friendly snacks such as:
- Cheese and crackers
There is no need to slave over a hot grill for hours when you can make simple items such as:
- Mini burgers
- Hot dogs
- Kebabs with chicken or steak (Be sure to make ahead of time and just put on the grill once you get to the beach.)
If you are hosting a beach bonfire, you can grill hot dogs over the fire.
You will want to choose desserts that are easy to eat and do not require utensils. Items that are ideal for the beach include:
- Cupcakes and cookies decorated in a beach theme
- Cut up watermelon and fresh fruit for a refreshing and cool treat
- S'mores are fun to make and only require graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars
Quench the thirst of your teens with drinks such as:
- Bottles of water
- Pitchers of iced tea or lemonade
- Cans of soda
Another fun option is to let the teens create their own drinks. Bring a variety of fruit juices and sparkling water and let them make their own unique creations.
You can keep food on a table under a beach canopy to keep food bug-free. Be sure to keep food covered and to only serve items that do not need refrigeration.
Teen Fun in the Sun
Teens of all ages are sure to enjoy a party on the beach. With a variety of options to choose from, you can create a party that is unique for your teen and is sure to include all of their favorites.