Using pirate invitations for a themed party adds swashbuckling fun to the theme. From simple styles to elaborate pirate creations, these clever invites can help set the scene for a memorable event.
Pirate parties are popular among both children and adults. The daring lifestyle, bold personalities, and quest for glory that characterizes most pirates is appealing as a fun and outrageous party theme, and it can be used for many types of celebrations, including:
- Birthday Parties
- Bachelor Parties
- Pool Parties
- Movie Parties focused on popular pirate films such as Pirates of the Caribbean or The Swiss Family Robinson
- Celebrating International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19
- Honoring famous pirates such as Blackbeard and Long John Silver
Whatever the reason to celebrate pirate-style, pirate invitations are a creative way to convey the theme of the event to potential guests and to give clues about the swashbuckling fun ahead.
Designs for Pirate Invitations
Pirate party invitations can range from whimsical to elegant depending on the party's mood.
Different manufacturers offer a range of printed papers and specially themed invitations with pirate motifs, including:
- Treasure maps
- Pirate ships
- Jolly Roger symbols
- Treasure chests
- Eye patches
- Cutlasses and other pirate weaponry
More generic images are also suitable for pirate invitations, such as:
- Paper scrolls
- Tropical beaches
Some party planners prefer more elaborate, customized invitations. While plain paper invites can be personalized with pirate-related accents such as sand, a small gold coin, or an elastic eye patch, more creative options include:
- Message in a Bottle: A small bottle, preferably weathered, with a cork stopper is perfect for conveying a pirate theme. Add small shells and a bit of sand to the bottle for even more realism. Without the bottle, a scroll of paper is still a creative option.
- Custom Treasure Map: Create a customized treasure map with weathered parchment paper. The edges of the paper should be frayed or charred, and the map could offer directions to the party location.
- Shells: Writing an invitation on a shell or sand dollar adds a tropical touch to the theme. Alternatively, a small shell can be attached to a paper invitation.
- Treasure Chests: Small wooden or plastic treasure chests are the perfect place to hide a party invitation. Fill the chest with costume jewelry, beads, plastic jewels, or other booty for fun accents.
- Skulls: A small toy skull with the invitation stuck through the eye socket is a great way to emphasize on the dangerous life of a pirate and the dangers a party guest may face if they ignore such a clever invitation.
Evite invitations for a pirate-themed party can use any type of pirate imagery, but animated and musical options may be the most fun. Popular choices include:
- Blasting cannons
- Fluttering skull and crossbones flags
- Sinking enemy pirate ships
- Glittering treasure
- Walking the plank
- Pirate songs
Regardless of the type of invitation the host chooses, using it to convey the theme of the party will help guests understand the type of event and what they might expect if they are able to attend.
Finding Pirate-Themed Invites
Most party supply stores offer a small range of pirate-themed papers, cards, and invitations, but online retailers generally have a larger, more varied selection. The following retailers offer different pirate invitations in assorted themes, styles, and sizes:
- Colors By Design
- Announcements and Invitations by Jeanette
- Momentous Occasion
- Party Cheap
- Paper Style
Pirate Wording for Invitations
The final touch to a clever pirate-themed invitation is the appropriate invitation wording. Using pirate lingo is a sure way to draw attention to the party and emphasize the theme in a clever and fun way. Sample wording may include:
- Ahoy ye scurvy dogs, it's fair time to set sail for distant shores in search of buried treasure, ripe maidens, and the odd bottle o' rum. Notify the captain of your intent to join the crew right away, lest he sentence ye to walk the plank!
- Argh, the treasure's been found and it's time to share the booty with other worthy souls ready to challenge the seven seas. Let your choice be known ASAP or you'll be swimming with the fish!
- The seas may be rough but so long as the rum holds out we'll sail on to distant shores. Join the crew for treasure and treats while we plunder the shores of celebration!
Of course, all invitations should include all the vital details of the party, including time, date, location, and any other information guests should be aware of before they attend.
Pirate invitations are a fun way to announce a pirate-themed party to friends and family. From the glitter of a treasure chest to the sharp edge of a cutlass, there are many options to choose from before setting sail for a great event.