Fifty years of marriage is certainly a milestone that should be celebrated. If you are planning a golden anniversary party, consider these menu ideas to help make the party memorable and enjoyable.
Appetizers and Finger Food
Traditional appetizers are always appropriate for every occasion. Classic options like antipasto platters will always please as well as deviled eggs and crab cakes. But if you want something different, more specifically themed for a fiftieth anniversary party, or friendly to guests' dietary needs, check out these suggestions.
- Diabetic-friendly appetizer options - Serve yummy herbed garlic bread, dill and onion dip or fruit salad for those guests who might be in need of a diabetic diet.
- Low-fat appetizers - Many people think of fruit platters and vegetable trays when they are looking for low-fat appetizers. Instead, make recipes like Garden Quesadillas and Cheese-Stuffed Baby Vegetables for an alternative option.
- Mediterranean-inspired appetizers - Mediterranean foods are often a part of a healthy lifestyle. These yummy appetizers will not only appeal to guests' taste buds but will also help them stay on their diet. The Tzatziki Sauce or Dip is a good tasty and healthy choice to serve with salad or as a dip for fresh vegetables.
A fun way to celebrate fifty years together is to serve fifty of the couple's favorite snacks. This is a great option for an afternoon party where you don't need a full meal. Include Chex Mix, chips, crackers, cookies, fudge and other candies, and a variety of salty and tangy snacks like spicy popcorn and garlic bagel chips.
Main Dishes for a 50th Anniversary
Main dishes are the stars of the meal. There are a lot of different options depending on budget, size of party, and personal dietary preferences. Delicious options include:
- Smoked Pork Crown Roast - Smoked pork crown roast may take a little longer to prepare, but the visual impact and delicious taste is worth the extra effort. This dish looks impressive on a dish and is special enough to be a part of a golden anniversary celebration.
- Orange Chicken - Orange chicken is not only a tasty treat, but is a healthy choice. Perhaps the couple has traveled to China or had a first date at a Chinese restaurant. Incorporate dishes from their life together to create a great meal. Orange chicken is loved by a lot of people and is tasty.
- Turkey Meatball Casserole - Casseroles are often good choices for parties. They are easy to make and serve, and appeal to a wide range of taste buds. Additionally, casseroles were a staple for American potlucks and parties from the 1950s through the 1980s and are probably familiar to these older couples.
- Vegetable Lasagna - If you have a vegetarian on your guest list, consider these vegetable lasagna recipes. It is a hearty meal that will help fill tummies and is liked by a wide spectrum of people.
Pair yummy side dishes with your main course to make the meal even more special. Choose the sides based on the main dish so they pair well together.
- Baked Potatoes - A common side-dish that is usually a crowd pleaser is the baked potato. It goes with a variety of meals, but is particularly yummy with meat dishes.
- Baked Stuffed Tomatoes - This is a great alternative to the traditional potato. It allows you to serve something familiar, but also special.
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower - A healthy side-dish is the oven-roasted cauliflower. Choose from a variety of spices to create a side dish perfect for any meal.
- Cold Chicken Pasta Salad - Add a cold chicken pasta salad to your favorite main dish. Chicken pasta salad is perfect to add to a variety of meals including the smoked port crown roast above.
Desserts are an important part of any meal, but are particularly important at celebration dinners. Consider using edible gold glitter to enhance chocolate covered strawberries or as part of the decorations on a special cake. The celebrating couple should cut the cake similar to the way newlyweds do, and then open up the dessert table to everyone. Add some festive desserts like:
- Mini dessert bar options - A variety of small desserts can be the perfect way to end a large meal. Seniors may want only a small treat and a dessert bar full of tiny treats is the perfect answer. Popular dessert bar recipes include Petit Fours and French macarons. They are small, pretty, and are typically served only on special occasions.
- No Bake Low Carb Cheesecake - In keeping with dietary restrictions, consider this low carb treat. It's also nice and cool for a warm summer anniversary party.
- Fruit Recipes - Refreshing fruit is a good and healthy way to end a meal. It will also help those with restricted diets be able to enjoy a treat with the rest of the guests. Some fruits like raspberries or strawberries can be paired with chocolate or served alone. Also consider serving fruits such as peaches or apricots with whipped cream for a refreshing treat.
- Chocolate Mousee - A small cup of chocolate mousse is a nice, smooth way to end a meal. The portions are small and are often enough for older guests.
No meal is complete without a yummy beverage. Beverages that are perfect for a golden anniversary party include:
- Non-Alcoholic Punch - Your 50th anniversary party is likely to include guests of all ages. For a party in the summer or with a tropical theme, consider punch with a Hawaiian or Caribbean twist.
- Mimosa - Mimosa is a trendy drink that's perfect for a brunchtime celebration. It will add a touch of class to your special meal.
Old Fashioned - The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail recipe that many seniors might remember from their younger years. The drink had all been forgotten in modern times, but has come back into the limelight mainly due to being featured in the television show, Mad Men, a retro-based program.
Frozen drinks - If you would like to offer a dessert beverage, frozen alcoholic drinks will fit perfectly. The Grasshopper is a yummy mint dessert drink that incorporates ice cream and other tasty ingredients.
Pulling It All Together
The meal is an important part of most parties, but so are the theme and decorations. Use gold-toned tableware and flatware and adorn the table with the type of flowers used at the couple's wedding to set up a serving or buffet table worth of the anniversary celebration.