Parties for kids not only center on fun games and activities but also on a menu filled with kid-friendly foods. There are many menu options to consider that can be tailored to a specific type of party and your child's food preferences.
Creative Party Menus for Children
Whether it is an informal sleepover or a big birthday bash, planning a menu for a party can often be a challenge. You can look at sample menus to get an idea of what to serve at your party to simplify the process.
Birthday Party Menu
In addition to the traditional birthday dessert of cake, there are other foods to consider serving at a birthday party. You may want to keep it simple and just order a pizza to serve before cake. However, if you're hosting a larger party during the mealtime, you'll want a more rounded menu. Consider options like the following, which feature kids' favorites:
- Main dish: Sandwiches filled with turkey, ham and cheese, chicken nuggets served with a variety of dipping sauces, or sliders
- Side dishes: Carrot sticks and ranch dressing and fruity yogurt cups
- Snack: Potato chips or pretzels
Serve soda or a punch as beverage options.
Sleepover parties are all about having fun with friends. For this type of party, you will want foods that kids can snack on while talking and watching movies.
- Main dish: Personal pizzas, made using pre-made pizza shells with toppings such as cheese, pepperoni, peppers, and mushrooms
- Side dishes: Bagged salad mix with dressing and mixed fruit salad
- Dessert: Cupcakes
- Snacks: Buttered popcorn, nachos with cheese, and chocolate and fruit-flavored candy
With the large number of snacks, feel free to consider dessert an optional item for a sleepover party. Don't forget to include an assortment of drinks, like juice and caffeine-free soda, throughout the evening.
Foods that are easy to eat and do not require sitting down are great for an outdoor party. Since most outdoor parties involve games and other activities, kids will enjoy foods that they grab and eat on the go.
- Main dish: Hot dogs and burgers
- Side dishes: Watermelon slices and cut vegetables
- Dessert: Ice cream cones
- Snack: Cookies
Sports drinks and flavored waters are ideal options to drink while playing outdoors.
Winter is the ideal time to throw a party for kids. When it is cold outside, bring the party indoors and serve a kid-friendly favorite drink such as hot chocolate with choices such as whipped topping, mini marshmallows, and peppermint sticks. Comfort foods are king when the weather is chilly, so consider a menu like the following:
- Main dish: Individual portions of macaroni and cheese and hot dogs wrapped in croissants
- Side dishes: Warm cornbread and hot cinnamon apple slices
- Dessert: Gingerbread cookies with icing and candy decorations
- Snack: Popcorn balls
Party Food Staples
To make it easy to serve food at a party with kids, fill baskets or large bins before the party with items such as:
- Assorted drinks such as juice boxes and small bottles of water
- Packaged snacks such as sliced apples, bags of chips, crackers, and pudding cups
Kids can decide on the items that they like and grab what they want in addition to what you are serving.
Something for Everyone
If parents will be staying at the party, be sure to serve extra food. There is no need to make special food for the grown-ups. You can offer items that will appeal to kids and adults such as a fruit or vegetable tray, cheese and crackers, pretzels and chips, and of course, dessert.