Holding a Mother's Day party provides you with a wonderful way to honor your own mom and maybe a few other special women in your life. Consider the ideas presented here to make this a day to remember.
Celebration and Honor
The honoree of a traditional Mother's Day celebration is typically your mom, but if that isn't possible, there are many other women that can be honored during this wonderful day as well. Grandmothers, aunts, perhaps your mother-in-law, and any other woman who has played a significant role in your life can also be included in your next Mother's Day celebration. After all, a true celebration is about honoring those who are near and dear to your heart.
Ideas for Mother's Day Parties
How will you celebrate Mother's Day? Mother's Day parties generally revolve around delicious food and good conversation. This day is the time to catch up with family members and old friends. Mother's Day often becomes a family reunion, particularly if party guests come from out of town. You have lots of options when it comes to celebrating this special day. The following ideas will help you get started.
Location and Type of Celebration
Choose the location of your party based on the amount of people that will attend.
- Home - If you're hosting a small, intimate gathering, then your home or patio may be the perfect place to spend time together. A garden tea party is a wonderful option if the weather will cooperate. Serve delicate cucumber sandwiches and other finger foods on the china you keep stored away in your cupboard. For more food ideas, visit LovetoKnow Recipes.
- Park - If your guest list includes extended family and friends, then consider reserving a pavilion at a local park. This is a wonderful option because children can run and play, and adults can sit around enjoying the scenery and each other. There is plenty of room for guests as well. Parks are the perfect setting for barbeques and cookouts. Be sure you have all the condiments and accessories necessary for this fun and easy meal.
- Recreation center or church hall - If inclement weather is a problem but you still need lots of room, consider renting a recreation center, party hall or church hall for a few hours. Invite guests to bring their own potluck dish. Depending upon where you rent, clean-up may be included in the rental fee.
Time of Day
Mother's Day parties are often held in the afternoon after families have attended church, but this time certainly isn't set in stone.
- Brunch - For an alternative party idea, consider hosting a Mother's Day brunch. Serve coffee, milk, juices and breakfast casseroles, complete with fruit, cinnamon rolls and breakfast meats.
- Lunch - The traditional Mother's Day lunch could be a buffet complete with potluck dishes or a sit-down dinner served with turkey and dressing, vegetable casseroles, salads, breads, cakes and pies.
- Mid-afternoon - If you don't want to feed everyone an entire meal, consider a mid-afternoon celebration, and serve snack foods and desserts. If the weather permits, invite some guests to bring their ice cream makers and serve a variety of homemade ice cream complete with all the fixings.
Put a different spin on this fun day with a planned outing that includes Mom and all the special people in her life.
- Bowling - Plan a trip to the bowling center, divide up into teams, and knock down those pins! If you have a very large crowd, you may need to call the bowling center for reservations.
- Group dance lessons - Has your mom ever wanted to learn the samba or the tango? Celebrate this special day and give her the gift of a lifetime with a session of group dance lessons. All of the party guests will participate. Then, move the party back home and continue to dance the night away.
A party isn't complete without gifts. The following gift ideas are sure to please even the pickiest mothers!
- Mix tapes - Create a mix tape of your mom's favorite songs. You can choose from songs that have special meanings or songs that take her back to her high school days. This thoughtful gift will last forever.
- Photo stories - There are special software programs, like PhotoStory3 (a free Microsoft program) or PhotoPeach, which allow you to upload your favorite photos, add music and words if you wish and create a photo story that will bring smiles to your mom's face.
- Family portrait - Gather all the kids and grandkids together and head to your local photographer for a family portrait that Mom will absolutely adore!
Mother's Day is a day for honoring and celebrating the women in your life. Spend the day spreading some love and joy.