If you're always looking over your shoulder and jumping around corners, a round of horror movie trivia is perfect for you. With the true crime genre on the rise, you shouldn't be ashamed to wave that horror movie fan flag high. Whether you want to put yourself to the challenge or want to test your friends to see who's the ultimate resource on all things horror, the perfect balm to anyone's bruised ego is following up your trivia with a movie night featuring your favorite horror flicks.
Horror Movie Trivia Gone Wild
Covering the making and storylines of the most popular horror films from the past century, these fifty questions just might have you questioning if you should be a card-carrying member of the horror movie club. If you feel like you're prepared to take on the challenge and you also want to bring your family and friends in on the fun, you can download this trivia sheet so you'll always have your questions at the ready. This handy guide to Adobe printables will help if you want some tips for downloading the file.
Classic Horror Questions
These horror trivia questions focus on classic horror movies, from the black and white to the more advanced CGI. All of these films have risen to a legendary status in popular culture, and these questions might just tell you why.
- Hitchcock's Psycho is known for many firsts. What first involves a bathroom fixture?
- What is the name of the family whose tragedy the Amityville Horror is based on?
- What is Jack referencing when he says the line "Here's Johnny" in The Shinning?
- What main characters survive the zombie invasion in Night of the Living Dead?
- What was the first horror movie to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards?
- Which horror movie actor, director, screenwriter, and make-up artist was given the nickname, "the man of a thousand faces"?
- Following his appearance in a small role in what iconic horror movie did Paul Bateson go on to commit an actual murder and be sentenced to twenty-years in prison for?
- Although never explicitly stated in the film, what is the demon's name in The Exorcist?
Classic Horror Answers
Check and see if all of those late night Svengoolie movie marathons have paid off:
- Psycho was the first film to show a flushing toilet on screen.
- The DeFeo family
- Ed McMahon's introduction to The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson
- None of them
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Lon Chaney
- The Exorcist
Monster Movie Questions
You can't escape these monster movie-themed questions dealing with the best in kooky, silly, and downright scary monsters that have graced the silver screen in the past 100+ years.
- Which was the first of the Universal Classic Monster movies to be released?
- What book is The Invisible Man based off of?
- What production was famous for making cult horror movies of the 1960s/1970s?
- Which classic horror movie is known more for its sequel than its original film?
- What does Emily Blunt's character, Evelyn Abbott, step on in the film A Quiet Place?
- How did Kurt Russell almost kill himself while filming The Thing?
- Which horror movie monster became an LGBTQ+ icon thanks to fans across the internet?
- Special effects artists designed the Gill-man in The Creature From the Black Lagoon after what famous figure?
Monster Movies Answers
Is that a howl in the distance or is it your jubilant screams at acing this trivia round?
- Dracula (1931)
- The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
- Hammer Film Productions
- Frankenstein with The Bride of Frankenstein
- A nail
- He threw a real stick of dynamite during one scene, and the explosion threw him off of his feet
- The Babadook
- The Oscar statue
Slasher Flicks Questions
When asked to describe a horror movie, most people's minds immediately turn to the slasher film equipped with a lone killer, a shrieking final girl, and an iconic theme song. Reaching insane popularity in the late-1970s and 1980s, slasher films have remained huge box office successes into the 21st century. Now, with these questions, you can get yourself into the thick of it and see if you'd emerge as the 'final girl' of horror trivia yourself.
- What question does Drew Barrymore's character, Casey, get wrong in the opening sequence of Scream?
- The woman who brought Halloween's heroine to life, Jamie Lee Curtis, has two famous parents. Who were they?
- What was Freddy Krueger's serial killer moniker before he died?
- What song does Sydney Prescott's boyfriend loudly serenade her with in the university cafeteria in Scream II?
- How was Freddy Krueger killed the first time in Nightmare on Elm Street?
- What was Michael Myer's first victim's name?
- What slasher film focuses on a fisherman seeking revenge against four teenagers?
- Brittany Snow reimagined the main role in this remake of what 1980 slasher film?
- In When a Stranger Calls (2006), what important information does the detective reveal to the babysitter?
- Which famous 1970s slasher villain was loosely based on the infamous murderer, Ed Gein?
Slasher Flicks Answers
See if it might be time to dig your teammate's graves with these answers to the questions about everyone's favorite slasher flicks.
- Who was the killer in Friday the 13th?
- Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh
- Springwood Slasher
- "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family
- He was burned alive by the parents of his child victims.
- Judith Myers
- I Know What You Did Last Summer
- Prom Night
- "We traced the call! It's coming from inside the house!"
Take a look at the making of your favorite horror movies by checking out these behind-the-scenes horror movie questions. Knowing a film's plot forwards and backwards won't help you with these questions; rather, filmmakers and production crew members can rejoice for their niche knowledge of the industry and its inner workings.
- Which actor almost played Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, had it not been for his similarly dark role in Mississippi Burning?
- What was the name of the cat who played Church the Cat in the original Pet Sematary?
- What filmmaking technique was used in The Blair Witch Project?
- Which movie's rating did Stephen Spielberg successfully lobby to have changed from R to PG?
- Which beloved children's toy gave some inspiration to the film Child's Play?
- What was The Stranger's original title going to be?
- Which famous production company is responsible for films like The Purge and Paranormal Activity?
Behind the Scenes Answers
Check your lighting and pocket that victory speech because you still have a long way to go to become the horror movie trivia champion.
- Gene Hackman
- Found footage filmmaking
- Cabbage Patch Dolls
- The Faces
- Blumhouse Productions
Caution! Plot Questions
Warning! The plot is coming in hot with these story-based trivia questions. It's time to wrack your brain for all of the tinniest details you can remember about your favorite horror movies.
- What famous song is featured in Insidious?
- What do the group of kids being hunted by Pennywise the Clown call themselves in It?
- What is the flight number of the plane that the teens successfully avoid dying on thanks to one of their premonitions in The Final Destination?
- Which character in Scream utters the iconic line, "My mom and dad are gonna be so mad at me."?
- What is the name of the tricycle-riding puppet character in the Saw franchise?
- Which trap did Amanda Young's character survive in the first film in the Saw franchise?
Caution! Plot Answers
Do you really remember those horror movies that you've watched thousand times? Time to find out:
- "Tiptoe Through the Tulips," by Tiny Tim
- The Losers Club
- Flight 180
- The Reverse Bear Trap
Beware the Grab Bag Questions
If you want to spice up your trivia night with a variety of questions, see how well you do with this grab bag trivia covering all sorts of horror movie-related topics.
- What is the highest grossing horror movie of all time?
- Which horror movie franchise used footage of the audience's reaction to the film to drive box office sales in the late 2000s?
- Which actress, best known for her role in Friends, was one of the main characters in Leprechaun?
- Kristen Stewart rose to stardom thanks to her portrayal of Bella Swan in the Twilight Series, but which horror movie did she star in just a year earlier?
- Which of the many American remakes of Japanese horror films decided to keep the film based in Japan?
- Which Boy Meets World actor starred in the early 2000s horror comedy Cabin Fever?
- Let Me In is the American remake of what Swedish film?
- What Dutch body horror movie took middle schoolers by storm in the late 2000s?
- What film franchise is based on the paranormal investigations of Ed and Lorraine Warren?
- What horror movie is loosely based on the Moonlight Murders in Texarkana in 1946?
- In 1950, two officers reportedly found a foreign substance that feel from the sky and crashed into earth, only for it to disappear twenty-five minutes later, serving as the inspiration for what 1958 film?
Beware the Grab Bag Answers
It's time to total up those last answers and see if you can join the horror movie trivia champions' wall-of-fame.
- It: Chapter One (2017)
- Paranormal Activity
- Jennifer Anniston
- The Messengers
- The Grudge
- Rider Strong
- Let the Right One In
- The Human Centipede
- The Conjuring
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown
- The Blob
It's a Shrieking Good Time
Whether you're hosting a Halloween movie trivia party or testing your own knowledge, horror movie trivia can be a shrieking good time. If you need additional challenge, you can also take a horror movie quiz to further test your knowledge. Please remember, if you miss a few questions, you should put down that knife you're using to chop a block of sharp cheddar cheese for your charcuterie board and stop yourself from turning your own life into a horror movie. As you know - it never turns out well for the villain.