A vision board is a visual representation of your goals and aspirations. It's a great reminder of what you hope to achieve and where you see yourself in the future. But instead of making a vision board alone, why not invite friends over to create their own by your side? Throw a vision board party so creative your guests will leave with a vision board that's truly a work of art.
What Is a Vision Board Party?
A vision board party is a gathering where folks get together to create their own vision boards. While they're often parties that usher in a new year (or a lunar new year), a vision board party is also a great way to celebrate a birthday (especially a milestone birthday!), bridal shower, new school year, new moon, girl's night, or any time you just need a little inspiration in your life - such as post-breakup or after a job loss.
Wherever you decide to host the party, make sure you have plenty of room for guests to work on their boards. They'll need space to flip through magazines, cut paper and fabric, glue items to their board, and graze on snacks. Drape a plastic table cover over the table or floor to protect your home from any stray glue or paint.
Creative Supplies for Vision Board Making
Vision boards typically feature magazine clippings of images and words pasted onto a poster board. You can certainly host a party by supplying just the basics (boards, magazines, scissors, and glue), but why not make your vision board party stand out? Provide materials that'll allow your guests to get extra imaginative and create a work of art.
You have to have these items to create good vision boards.
- Poster board. Purchase several poster boards or cut up large recycled cardboard boxes so everyone has a large, rigid surface to work with. You could also ask attendees to bring their own boards; just make sure they bring something around 16 inches x 20 inches.
- Magazines: Provide a wide range of magazine types. You can often get free ones at your local library when they recycle old issues - or find them on The Freecycle Network. Consider asking guests to bring a magazine to the party. Everyone has different tastes, so there's a good chance you'll end up with a variety.
- Scissors: Have several pairs or ask guests to bring their own from home.
- Glue: Provide glue sticks, liquid glue, tape, and tacks for everyone to use.
Make your party more fun and provide creative inspo for guests with some extras.
- Dried flowers
- Artificial flowers
- Colorful pens
- Fabric scraps
- Washi tape
- Coloring books
Vision Board Party Ideas
While the focus of the party is the vision board making, there are still plenty of other aligned activities you can offer. And as the host, it's your responsibility to spark inspiration in your guests. Get their creative juices flowing with these vision board party ideas.
Consider kicking off the vision board party with a guided meditation. This will help guests visualize their future and give them a direction for their vision boards. You can find tons of great meditations on YouTube or the Insight Timer app. Try searching for the keywords "goal-setting meditation" or "meditation to visualize the future" and select one that's about 5 to 10 minutes long; any longer, and you might put your guests to sleep before the party even begins.
It isn't a party without something to sip and munch on! Pick food and drinks that are colorful yet healing. Rainbow fruit kebabs are nourishing finger food that's easy to eat while cutting and pasting. A frozen yogurt bar, soup bar, or bruschetta bar would also be fun. And don't forget about fresh mocktails or cocktails to keep your guests hydrated while they build their visions. If the weather is cold, you could opt for warm beverages instead.
Inspiring Journal Prompts
Offer journal prompts to get everyone's creativity flowing. You can either lead a journaling session or just have the questions written for anyone who needs inspiration. These three prompts can help people think about what visuals they'd like to incorporate into their board, along with what future goals they might have:
- What words, colors, or images bring me joy?
- What is something I've always dreamed of achieving?
- What is the difference between the person I am today and the person I want to be?
Set the tone of the party with embodied music. If someone local plays singing bowls, you could invite them to play at the party. If not, pick out a sound bath playlist on YouTube for a similar effect. If you prefer something a little more energetic, consider having your guests give you the names of songs that ignite hope. Make a playlist and play it while everyone crafts.
Share Your Visions
The fun part of creating vision boards as a group is the ability to share them! After everyone is done (or nearly done), encourage them to share their visions. There's no need to go into elaborate detail, but it can be fun to admire each other's work.
In addition to manifesting what you want, you can also let go of what you no longer need. Consider having a little bonfire to burn away your worries. Have everyone write down something they would like to release on a slip of paper (for example, "I release the fear of the unknown" or "I release resentment"), then toss them in the fire. If a fire isn't possible, simply tear up the pieces of paper.
Hosting a Virtual Vision Board Party
You don't have to gather in the same space to make vision boards; consider hosting a virtual vision board party for friends near and far. Set up a video chat and lead everyone through their vision board-making. It's helpful to share your screen, so everyone can get an idea of what to do before they jump into their board. We like using either Pinterest or Canva.
- Pinterest: Invite everyone to create a new Pinterest board as their vision board. Have them find photos that align with their vision and pin them to the board. The great thing about Pinterest is that you can find exactly what you want for your board without relying on having to find the images in a magazine.
- Canva: Have everyone search for "vision board," then select one of Canva's many vision board templates. Guests can search for images from Canva's gallery of stock photos or upload their own. They also have text and graphics. Once everyone creates their vision board, encourage them to download the image and use it as their desktop background, phone lock screen, etc.
Throw the Best Vision Board Party With Original Ideas
There are really no rules for creating a vision board, which means there are no rules you must adhere to when throwing a vision board party. So get as creative as you'd like with your supplies, food, beverages, and extra activities. Then give your guests the freedom to express themselves through their vision board while you do the same with yours.