Mardi Gras is a time for excess, from elaborate floats filled with masked riders tempting parade-goers with beads and baubles, to fancy dress balls that go on until the wee hours of the morning, and then some. The most famous saying for Mardi Gras is "laissez les bon temps rouler," a French phrase that means let the good times roll. There are also plenty of fun ways to express the joy of Fat Tuesday in English. Explore a selection of original Mardia Gras quotes, along with a few famous options.
Fun Mardi Gras Quotes
The best Mardi Gras quotes capture the fun and frivolity of this unique celebration. These fun and joyous sayings can help convey the indescribable multi-week street party that culminates on Fat Tuesday.
- There's no place like Mardi Gras.
- Keep calm and Mardi on.
- Bon temps in the Big Easy!
- Keep calm and Mardi Gras.
- Slay, Mardi Gras queen.
- Keep calm and throw me something!
- There's no parade quite like a Mardi Gras parade.
- What you do on the float ain't nobody's business but yours.
- What happens at the boom boom stays at the boom boom.
- Mardi Gras: A party of the people, for the people, and by the people.
Quotes About Beads and Doubloons
Beads and doubloons are among the most coveted treasures to catch at a Mardi Gras parade. No collection of Mardi Gras quotes would be complete without some fun sayings about beads and doubloons.
- What wouldn't I do for some beads?
- What'd you do to get those doubloons?
- Party on and scramble for beads!
- Give me doubloons or give me beads.
- Those who have the most beads win!
- Will work for beads.
- You're such a bead queen!
- Beads are in the air; doubloons are everywhere!
- Nothing says Mardi Gras more than Bourbon Street and beads.
- You haven't lived until you've been smacked in the face by flying beads.
Mardi Gras Captions
After Fat Tuesday, your fun photos of the day (and season!) will keep you going until Mardi Gras rolls around again. Enhance your images with these simple and snappy captions.
- My krewe de Gras.
- Mardi animal.
- I am the parade.
- You had to be there.
- It's Fat Tuesday somewhere.
- Makin' Mardi gras magic.
- Yass Mardi Gras queen.
- Belle of the boom boom.
- Day drinkin' in the streets.
- Havin' a ball at the boom boom!
Fat Tuesday Sayings
Fat Tuesday is the culmination of the Mardi Gras season. It's not at the same time every year because it's linked to the Easter season, which varies. Fat Tuesday is always the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of lent.
- Party all day, party all night on Fat Tuesday.
- Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we fast!
- It's the most wonderful Tuesday of the year.
- Take to the streets on Fat Tuesday!
- Lift your arms and grab some beads; on Fat Tuesday let your spirit be free!
- Fat Tuesday: The day to get all of the partying out of your system before lent arrives.
- When is acceptable to have king cake and cocktails for breakfast? Fat Tuesday, of course!
Mardi Gras Toast Quotes
No carnival celebration is complete without some fun Mardi Gras cocktails! Kick-off the festivities with a special quote that's perfect for the occasion.
- Go forth and share the spirit of Mardi Gras.
- Let the merriment commence.
- Let us take to the streets.
- Join me in our quest for beads!
- May the spirit of Mardi Gras shine on in your soul.
- Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to cover yourself in beads. Let the games begin!
- Here's to the wild ones, the float-riders, the bead-catchers, the band-marchers! You're what Mardi Gras is all about.
Famous Mardi Gras Quotes
The pageantry and traditions of Mardi Gras are often featured in books, song lyrics, and other writings. Pop culture and literature are great resources for finding famous quotes about this festive celebration.
- "An American has not seen the United States until he has seen Mardi-Gras in New Orleans." - Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), Letter to Pamela Moffett
- "It's in our soul to have Mardi Gras" Arthur Hardy, publisher of The Mardi Gras Guide
- "Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina
- "C'mon take me to the Mardi Gras/ Where the people sing and play/ Where the dancing is elite/ And there's music in the street, both night and day." - Paul Simon, Take Me to the Mardi Gras
- "There's a Mardi Gras mambo with a beat/ Join the Chief with the Zulu gang/ And truck on down where the mambo's swing." - The Hawketts, Mardi Gras Mambo
Special Sayings for Mardi Gras Celebrations
The sayings above capture the unique joy of Mardi Gras. From the first parade of the season to the grand finale of Fat Tuesday, use these expressions to put the icing on the (king) cake of your carnival season!